What I do:
Keen Eye LLC reads pre-published Young Adult novels and gives feedback.
What you do:
You’ve written a YA novel. You’ve revised it multiple times, edited it and are ready to see what people who are not your friends or relatives think of the story.
Beta Reading YA Novels
As a beta reader I’m giving feedback about my reading experience. Though I am a copyeditor, I will be reading your novel with my leisure eyes, as if it were one of the many sitting on my nightstand. Does something catch my interest from the first pages? Am I captivated by the plot or the characters and want to keep reading? Is the setting something I can visualize? I’ll make note of this and other good reading things, and give you a document with feedback.
I beta read stories that are polished. They have been through several drafts and are ready for a general audience.
To establish if you would like to use my beta reading services, I will read the first chapter (or first 10 pages) at no cost to you. Your chapter will be returned with a completed questionnaire that gives brief feedback about my reaction to your plot, pacing, characters, dialog, setting and conflict.
If you decide to continue with me as a beta reader I will read the rest of your novel and return it with a more comprehensive feedback document.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see examples of first chapter and full manuscript feedback.
I have extensive Young Adult leisure reading experience. I’m a Goodreads Top Reviewer and participate in a book group with Children’s Librarians.
My wheelhouse is contemporary YA, but I read all kinds of YA.
Of note: If your novel is a fantasy, I’m not the best reader unless it takes place in the present and could happen to me:
- The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondheim-type fantasy=yep
- Game of Thrones-type fantasy=nope
Here is a list of my 2018 YA five-star reviews on Goodreads:
- The Sun is Also a Star—Nicola Yoon
- Bonnie and Clyde: The Making of a Legend—Karen Blumenthal
- Boots on the Ground: America’s War in Vietnam—Elizabeth Partridge
- Ghost Boys—Jewell Parker Rhodes
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue—Mackenzi Lee
- The Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy—Mackenzi Lee
- Truly Devious—Maureen Johnson
- The Poet X—Elizabeth Acevedo
- You’re Welcome, Universe—Whitney Gardner
- Twelve Days in May: Freedom Ride 1961—Larry Dane Brimner
And my 2018 YA four-star reviews on Goodreads
- The Anatomical Shape of a Heart—Jenn Bennett
- Boys Don’t Knit (in Public)—T.S. Easton
- The Stars Beneath our Feet—David Moore Barclay
- What I Leave Behind—Alison McGhee
- My Plain Jane—Cynthia Hand
- Damsel—Elana K. Arnold
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before—Jenny Han
- P.S. I Still Love You—Jenny Han
- Always and Forever Lara Jean—Jenny Han
- Thunderhead—Neal Shusterman
- If You Come Softly—Jacqueline Woodson
- I Have Lost My Way—Gayle Forman
- Finding Yvonne—Brandy Colbert
- The Disturbed Girl’s Dictionary—NoNiequa Ramos
- Leah on the Offbeat—Becky Albertalli
- Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet—Jennifer L. Armentrout, ed.
- The Journey of Little Charlie—Christopher Paul
- Dry—Neal Shusterman
- When My Heart Joins the Thousand—A.J. Steiger
- Love, Hate & Other Filters—Samira Ahmed
- Dear Martin—Nic Stone
- Conviction—Kelly Loy Gilbert
- The 57 Bus: A True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime That Changed Their Lives—Dashka Slater
$0.0015 per word, also known as $15.00 per 10,000 words.
I’ve done the math for you in the chart below.
Let’s Get Started
Tell me about your novel!
Example Feedback: Chapter One
This feedback is from a beta read completed in August, 2019. Names of characters have been changed.